Director of Business Development
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of employment: Regular, Full-time
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions and custom Defence and Security products.
For more than four decades we have assisted domestic and international customers with integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. From Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Autonomous Underwater Vehicles, the team understands the challenges end-users face when integrating and deploying remote instrumentation and M2M devices. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet.
MetOcean Telematics also develops and manufacture state-of-the-art data acquisition and telemetry systems. The Company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environment monitoring, with specialization in the production of air-deployed and ship-deployed drifting buoys, search and rescue buoys, oil spill tracking buoys, ice platforms and acoustic systems, and defense and security systems. Our marine focused products have been developed to support niche markets in a wide variety of scientific and commercial fields. These markets include Oil and Gas, Search and Rescue (SAR), Oceanographic, Meteorological, Military, Polar, ARGO Program, Aquaculture and Port Authorities.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. The proximity of our facility to the ocean is of prime importance to our plant. Both the Bedford Basin at the head of Halifax Harbor, and the nearby open ocean provide a test facility no lab or test tank can duplicate. Our facilities have recently expanded to occupy a facility of over 40,000 sq. ft. of space that is divided into offices, labs, prototyping facilities, electronics assembly/storage and mechanical assembly. Approximately 20,000 sq. ft. of our space is strictly dedicated for use as manufacturing space.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for directing the business development of the organization and drives the new sales business for the company, playing a key role in the company’s bottom line.
The individual will manage the MetOcean Telematics Business Development and Inside Sales team, and ensure that all functional issues are considered when evaluating business development opportunities. The individual will develop and maintain industry contacts with external organizations to keep well informed of industry trends and business development opportunities.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Lead a team of Business Development and Inside Sales professionals. This will include setting targets and objectives, managing performance and provide mentoring.
- Assess growth opportunities through data gathering and analysis of economic, competitor, financial and industry information.
- Determine sales objectives and incentive plans to meet firm wide goals.
- Identify and develop a strategy to prioritize business development activities based on customer considerations - current, potential, influencers, etc.
- Develop key activity reports and scorecards to provide line-of-sight into on-going opportunity development efforts, opportunity status, potential threats, requirements and key to success for senior management.
- Preparation of annual business and sales plans and implementation of those plans for the respective region.
- Manage the sales activities and time management of the Business Development Managers. Ensure the team is utilizing CRM per our standard work guidelines.
- Implement sales plans, distributor plans, and policies relating to sales force and customers.
- Manage processes and controls to insure that all policies are implemented and enforced.
- Provide regular and consistent feedback to the Director of Sales & Marketing regarding progress on key accounts, sales activities, and customer concerns.
- Represents the Company at industry events, local government and public relations to promote its presence, products and services.
- Drive new revenue by utilizing strong networking skills to create opportunities and partnerships for MetOcean telematics.
- Organize and manage a client satisfaction program.
- Represent the firm at the highest level to clients, peer organizations, and business associates.
- Work with Inside Sales and Business Development to develop proposals.
- Maintain a high profile in professional and community organizations.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
A Minimum of 10 years of relevant sales/business development experience.
5+ years experience leading a sales team.
MBA is considered and asset.
Previous experience working in the telecommunications (telemetry) Industry preferred.
Professional demeanor that enables the person to interact with the highest levels both inside and outside the organization.
Excellent leadership/managerial and mentoring/teaching skills.
Good organizational skills.
Track record of proactively creating and maintaining strong internal and external relationships with centers of influence, team members, and management.
Self-Starter with proven ability to proactively engage with leaders and facilitate discussions.
Ability to work in a fast-paced, team environment.
Willingness and ability to travel often.
A competitive compensation
100% Employer paid group benefits
Corporate gym membership rates
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@MetOcean.com with Director, Business Development as subject title.