Mechanical Engineer Team Lead/Senior Designer
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of employment: Regular, Full-time
As a prominent Iridium® Satellite Value-Added Reseller (VAR) focused on data services, 'metOcean telematics' is a leader in the Iridium® satellite communications industry. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with our partners spanning the globe as experts in these fields. We have a long history of assisting our customers with integrating Iridium® hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. From Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Autonomous Underwater Vehicles or Buoys and Profilers, our team understands the challenges you face when integrating and deploying your device. We work with you to ensure your data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible.
Additionally, we develop and manufacture state-of-the-art data acquisition and telemetry systems. 'metOcean telematics' has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environment monitoring, with specialization in the production of air-deployed and ship-deployed drifting buoys, search and rescue buoys, oil spill tracking buoys, ice platforms and acoustic systems, and defense and security systems. 'metOcean telematics' marine focused products have been developed to support niche markets in a wide variety of scientific and commercial fields. These markets include Oil and Gas, Search and Rescue (SAR), Oceanographic, Meteorological, Military, Polar, ARGO Program, Aquaculture and Port Authorities.
Our mechanical engineering team is dynamic and high performing, tasked with a broad range of design and support responsibilities. We are currently looking for an experienced designer to provide both innovative and cost-effective mechanical designs while also providing leadership to our current team of technologists.
- Leading and mentoring the current team of mechanical technologists
- Managing end-to-end mechanical engineering projects of varying size and scope
- Ownership of mechanical product designs from concept through production and to end of life
- Developing manufacturing assembly procedures and helping in failure investigations
- Creation, review and updating of engineering documentation
- Developing and managing the mechanical environmental testing
- Leading the mechanical design reviews and owning the final mechanical deliverables
- Working across multiple functional teams to ensure the most effective project outcome
- Understanding, generating and delivering on the complete mechanical requirements for commercially available products
- Bachelor or Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 8 years of experience
- Primary mechanical engineer for a commercially available product(s)
- Worked on multiple products through the entire product lifecycle
- Proven record of designing products for outdoor, rugged use
- Experience in designing and testing marine and submersible products
- Strong 3D CAD skills (Pro/E currently used)
- Experience with environmental testing standards and methodology (e.g. SAE J1455, MIL-STD-810, IEC 60529)
- Experience using product life-cycle management (PLM) software
- Hands on mechanical aptitude and the ability to problem solve creatively
- Strong attention to detail
- Preference will be given to candidates with past experience leading a small team working in a high performance environment
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@metocean.com with Mechanical Engineer as subject title.