Software Developer (Desktop Applications)
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of employment: Regular, Full-time
As a prominent Iridium® Satellite Value-Added Reseller (VAR) focused on data services, 'metOcean telematics' is a leader in the satellite communications industry. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with our partners spanning the globe as experts in these fields. We have a long history of assisting our customers with integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. From Unmanned Surface Vehicles to Autonomous Underwater Vehicles or Buoys and Profilers, our team understands the challenges you face when integrating and deploying your device. We work with you to ensure your data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible.
Additionally, we develop and manufacture state-of-the-art data acquisition and telemetry systems. 'metOcean telematics' has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environment monitoring, with specialization in the production of air-deployed and ship-deployed drifting buoys, search and rescue buoys, oil spill tracking buoys, ice platforms and acoustic systems, and defense and security systems. 'metOcean telematics' marine focused products have been developed to support niche markets in a wide variety of scientific and commercial fields. These markets include Oil and Gas, Search and Rescue (SAR), Oceanographic, Meteorological, Military, Polar, ARGO Program, Aquaculture and Port Authorities.
The Desktop Application Developer is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of new and existing desktop applications. The application developer is expected to develop desktop applications with responsive GUIs that are easy to use, and platform-agnostic. The developer will also work closely with a team of software developers, discuss new ideas, propose the right approach to ongoing projects, and ensure delivery of a quality product efficiently.
- Responsible for design and implementation of desktop applications
- Responsible for debugging and troubleshooting
- Ensure system reliability and scalability
- Collaborate with the software development team members to discuss and implement development priorities
- Engage with existing desktop applications
- Establish coding standards and software best practices
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, Master’s degree is an asset
- 4+ years of experience with desktop application development
- Excellent User interface design skills for desktop applications
- Strong object oriented design and programming skills using C#
- Interfacing with peripheral devices via USB, Bluetooth and/or Serial
- Knowledge of Mapping
- Ability to work in a fast-paced collaborative environment
- Strong problem solving skills
- High energy level with the ability to think creatively - passionate about the business
- Experience with mobile application development is an asset
- Knowledge of satellite and terrestrial communications is an asset
- Experience with continuous integration systems (CruiseControl; Jenkins ) and deployment is a real plus, as is experience with automated testing
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@metocean.com with Software Developer (Desktop Applications) as subject title.