Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of employment: Regular, Full-time
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions, custom defense and security products.
For more than four decades, we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environment monitoring, vessel tracking and defense & security systems.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the Director of Engineering is responsible for the management of the Product Development Department. This includes leading the various team leads to guide the 25+ engineers, developers and designers while managing the timely delivery of new products and sustaining activities. Within the company, the position is seen as a key member of the management team and contributing to the overall success of the business.
MetOcean’s Product Development Department includes:
- Hardware and Firmware design
- Mechanical Engineering
- Software (Web and Desktop) Development
- Product & Solution Verification
- Environmental monitoring (Oceanographic, Meteorological & Polar) solutions
- Defense and security satellite and cellular tracking devices
- Satellite IoT products, solutions and software platforms
- Directly manage the various team leads and departmental activities
- Perform hands-on project management ensuring projects are on schedule and within scope
- Generate initial project plans, scope of work and review requirement documents
- Provides technical guidance and oversight on the design concepts and final products
- Prioritize and monitor all ongoing technical tasks and deliverables within the department
- Formulate long-term objectives and goals for the various functional teams and individuals
- Provide leadership to the staff including performance management, development and training
- Evaluate industry best practices and incorporates these practices into the department
- Engage with the other departments ensuring projects are properly entering engineering and products are properly introduced into manufacturing
- Bachelor’s or Advanced degree in Engineering
- 8+ years of experience in engineering management/project management
- 12+ years in a multi-disciplinary product development department
- Strong technical aptitude in various disciplines
- Teambuilding and leadership skills
- Demonstrated management skills
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking
- Ability to manage diverse, simultaneous projects of varying complexity
- PMP Certification an asset
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- RRSP matching
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume to HR@metocean.com with Director, Engineering as the subject title.