Head Office: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Permanent
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions, custom defence and security products.
MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environmental monitoring, vessel tracking and defence & security systems.
We are looking for an Embedded Software Engineer to work within MetOcean’s Embedded Software team, contributing to the design and development of software solutions residing on embedded products. Reporting to the Team Lead for Embedded Software, the ideal candidate would have experience in both application development in Java and firmware development in C.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Embedded Software Engineer is responsible for, but not necessarily limited to, the following:
- Write well-designed, testable Java applications
- Execute full Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC)
- Contribute to the overall conceptualization, design, and development of products
- Develop flowcharts, layouts and documentation to identify requirements and solutions
- Write and review design specifications and requirement documents
- Troubleshoot, debug, and upgrade existing systems
- Stay current with the latest technologies and industry best practices
- Contribute to improving the release processes, version control, project management, and issue tracking
- Work closely with the hardware, software and verification team leads to ensure accurate and timely delivery of projects
Technical & Non-Technical Skills
- 2+ years’ experience as a Software Engineer, Software Developer, or Firmware Developer
- Knowledge of JVM and Java Native Interface
- Familiarity with C programming
- Experience with JUnit, Jira, GitHub, Slack, or similar tools
- Continual learner and ability to adapt to changes in the industry
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Nice to Have
- Mobile development experience in Android
- Continuous Integration experience with Jenkins
- Embedded development experience (RTOS, Bare Metal, Bootloaders, Drivers, etc.)
- Experience with low-power applications (battery enabled products)
- Familiarity with GPS, Bluetooth, Iridium, RF and Cellular
Education & Experience
- University degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering or Computer Science.
- 4+ years of relevant work experience
Please submit a cover letter and resume with (Embedded Software Engineer) as the subject title to HR@metocean.com.