Hardware Designer (Wireless Communication)
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of employment: Regular, Full-time
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean marine solutions and custom defense and security products.
For more than four decades we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The Company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environment monitoring, with specialization in the production of air-deployed and ship-deployed drifting buoys, search and rescue buoys, oil spill tracking buoys, ice platforms and acoustic systems, and defense and security systems.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
MetOcean’s Product Development department is a tightly knit cross-functional group comprising of highly talented firmware engineers, mechanical designers and hardware engineers. MetOcean designs and manufactures various satellite M2M centric embedded solutions. These solutions are used within various industries from oceanographic research to covert tracking and surveillance.
What you will do: you will be contributing towards new product development and the improvement of existing products within the embedded solutions team. The role will also involve interacting with external vendors and other teams/departments; this demands excellent written and verbal communication skills. As part of a small high performing group, your work will have a significant impact on the success of the team and its products.
- Design, test, and qualify high quality and cost effective electronic solutions for satellite centric M2M products
- Primary for the RF implementation (antenna selection and integration into low power satellite/cellular/BLE/etc. designs)
- Assist in all phases of development, compliance test, manufacturing test, product ramp and related sustaining activities
- Take ownership of critical design and development areas of the products and systems
- Interact with cross-functional engineering teams across MetOcean for cohesive product development
- Participate in design reviews and collaborate closely with other M2M developers
- Build robust methodologies and processes to deliver high quality products
- Participate in electronic hardware design (depending on individual skill sets)
- Assist with firmware and overall embedded solution design
- Minimum B.Eng in Electrical Engineering
- 4+ years of relevant hardware design experience
- Understanding hardware design of embedded systems, especially in antenna integration
- Low power circuit design
- Experience designing, developing and troubleshooting autonomous embedded products
- Knowledge of onboard power supply designs and IO
- Understanding of EMC/EMI principles
- Familiarity with GPS, Bluetooth, Iridium and cellular an asset
- System/Sub-System test planning and execution
- Experience with I2C, SPI and UART
- Some experience in RF design and design of antenna based products
- Experience with Altium is an asset
- Experience with programming languages such as C is an asset
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- RRSP matching
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit cover letter and resume to HR@metocean.com with Embedded Developer (Firmware) subject title.
Check us out http://www.metocean.com/