Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Full time, Permanent
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions, custom defense and security products.
For more than four decades, we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environmental monitoring, vessel tracking and defense & security systems.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. Additionally, MetOcean has two affiliated offices located in the UK and in Australia.
MetOcean Telematics is looking for a well established Human Resources Manager to lead the Global HR function for Canada, the U.K. and Australia. Reporting to the Vice President of Finance and Administration, the Human Resources Manager will be responsible for all facets of HR including strategic planning, talent management, employee relations, payroll and benefits, performance management, training and development, employee wellness, and health and safety. The position will be instrumental in the growth and success of the organization.
- Develop initiatives and policies that attract, retain and develop staff in accordance with industry best practices, and demonstrate a commitment to providing efficient, responsive and innovative services.
- Conduct internal and external reviews for alignment and continuous improvement including research, development and implementation of changes to program and services or the introduction of new ones.
- Coordinate the resolution of specific policy-related and procedural problems and inquiries.
- Create engagement strategies, advise managers on ways to build and maintain solid teams, conduct surveys and exit interviews and make recommendations.
- Bridge management and employee relations by addressing issues. Conduct disciplinary and termination meetings – consulting with legal counsel if necessary.
- Prepare employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Create and implement recruitment plans to attract and identify candidates, create job postings, conduct interviews, make recommendations to hiring managers, research different recruitment tools, conduct reference and background checks, and prepare offer packages.
- Maintain relationship with employment agencies, educational institutes and other recruitment sources.
- Provide managers with guidance and coaching to get the best from their teams, work with managers to address performance issues, support the annual performance review process.
Compensation and Benefits
- Manage and administer the payroll function including RRSP program.
- Administer and explain benefits to employees, serve as the liaison between employees and insurance carriers. Evaluate the benefits plan and implement cost-saving strategies.
- Advise on pay and other issues, including promotion and benefits.
- Construct, implement and promote a variable pay incentive plans (sales, profit sharing, Senior Management Bonuses, etc.)
- Manage the merit review process.
Training and development
- Coordinate on-boarding, facilitate orientation and work with managers on development plans.
- Assess training needs to apply and monitor training programs, particularly as they relate to ISO requirements.
- Identify learning opportunities aligned with business priorities and implement learning and development programs.
- Manage internal and external training and mentorship programs.
Health & Safety
- Organize committee meetings, implement workplace safety, schedule necessary training, conduct accident/incident investigations and inspections.
- Assist with WCB claims process and return to work programs.
Other HR Functions
- Lead all aspects of the HRIS, ensuring employee records are complete, accurate and in compliance with all applicable legislation.
- Manage the HR Implementation of company mergers and acquisition.
- Facilitate leaves, terminations, as well as co-op and internship placements.
- Develop and deliver communication pieces, presentations, provide education on HR policies and procedures, other HR projects as required.
- Ensure legal compliance throughout human resource management function.
- 10+ Years’ experience in an HR Generalist or HR Management role.
- Post-secondary education in business and/or human resources management.
- CPHR Designation considered an asset.
- Experience in processing and auditing payroll. Familiarity with Ceridian’s Dayforce considered an asset.
- Resourceful and detail-oriented.
- Self-starter and effective problem-solver.
- Strong project management skills and effective execution skills to ensure successful delivery/implementation of special initiatives, products, processes and policies.
- Sound technical knowledge and experience as an HR professional with a proven track record of developing and delivering value-added HR solutions.
- Track record in building effective relationships and partnering with stakeholders in a highly collaborative manner.
- Knowledge of employment labor law, governmental compliance, federal & provincial programs & requirements.
- Strong administrative, reporting, and analytical skills.
- Excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills.
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- RRSP matching
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume to with Human Resources Manager as the subject title to HR@metocean.com .