Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Full time, Permanent
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions, custom defence and security products.
For more than four decades, we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environmental monitoring, vessel tracking and defence & security systems.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. Additionally, MetOcean has two affiliated offices located in the UK and in Australia.
MetOcean is looking for a well established Payroll Administrator to take ownership of the payroll processes. Reporting to the VP, Finance & Administration and working in close partnership with the HR Manager, the Payroll Administrator would take ownership for the accurate and timely processing of payroll processes and perform other payroll related administrative duties as required. They will also assist the Human Resource Department in various processes related to employee compensation.
This is a unique hybrid role for someone with a payroll/accounting background and a keen interest in Information Security. It’s an opportunity for a smart, curious, innovative and incredibly accurate individual to join a highly engaged team.
- Process and input high volume bi-weekly payroll for salaried and hourly payrolls in accordance with established company practices and procedures.
- Collect, analyze, enter, calculate and verify payroll information, including hours and statutory deductions.
- Review time records for accuracy, completeness and authorization in accordance with company procedures.
- Maintain and adjust employee information in the payroll and time management systems (Ceridian Dayforce).
- Perform off-schedule payments, such as reimbursements, termination pays, lump sum payments.
- Ensure payment of various deductions such as garnishments are sent to the appropriate authorities accurately and on time.
- Process and verify Records of Employment for terminated and on leave employees.
- Respond and verify requests for information from various agencies including the Canada Custom and Revenue Agency (CRA) and Service Canada.
- Prepare and reconcile bi-weekly and monthly payroll statements/reports.
- Prepare and process year-end payroll.
- Prepare and process quarterly payroll for US account.
- Manage all changes to payroll and benefits:
- Setup of new employees.
- Employee benefits processing.
- Earnings changes.
- New or ongoing deductions.
- Provide backup support, and carry out ad-hoc tasks, special research and analysis projects to support Finance and HR.
- 2+ years’ payroll and/or accounting experience including processing year-end activities.
- Excels in a fast-paced environment with a proven ability to multi-task.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality and operates with integrity.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Strong time-management and organizational abilities.
- Ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft office suite.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business with a concentration in Accounting, or similar relevant education/experience.
- Canadian Payroll Association Certification – PCP would be an asset.
- Working knowledge of the Employment Standards Act, Canada Pension Plan, Canada Revenue Agency regulations, Employment Insurance, Employer Health Tax and WSIB regulations.
- Experience using payroll systems ( Ceridian Dayforce is an asset)
- Excellent Computer Skills
- Experience dealing security clearances would be considered an asset.
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- RRSP matching
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume to with Payroll Administrator as the subject title to HR@metocean.com .