Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Full time, Permanent
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider, designer and manufacturer of satellite IoT enabled solutions. MetOcean’s products span across oceanographic & environmental monitoring equipment, naval targeting and covert surveillance markets.
For more than four decades we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere in the world.
Our head office is located in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada.
Reporting to the acting Director, Engineering, the Embedded Software, Team Lead is responsible for executing the embedded software development lifecycle, continually monitoring and utilizing the latest industry technologies, and managing the team of embedded developers.
- Lead the design and architecture of the embedded software solutions within MetOcean products
- Work with the Director of Engineering, Product Management and the Software Team Lead on the defining the user experience and the application functionality
- Construct well written embedded design specifications and requirement documents
- Take ownership of the embedded software release processes, repositories, Jira management and issue tracking
- Utilize embedded JVM (MicroEJ) to construct new products and expand the capabilities of existing ones
- Ensure the embedded software stays current with the latest technologies and industry practices
- Provide guidance and mentorship to the individuals within the embedded software team (4-5)
- Assist in hands-on coding and development of the software
- Assist in ensuring our embedded, cloud applications and hardware designs are strategically aligned
- Maintain and upgrade existing products
- Work closely with the hardware, software and verification team leads to ensure accurate and timely delivery of projects.
- Take ownership of the embedded software quality and sustainability
- Initiate and implement continual improvement projects
- Contribute to the overall conceptualization, design and development of all products
- Experience in developing applications within an RTOS (e.g. FreeRTOS) environment on an MCU (3+ years)
- Hands on experience with object orientated programming and best practices, specifically Java (3+ years)
- Leadership and people management skills (2+ years)
- Knowledge of low-level firmware development (RTOS, Bare Metal, Bootloaders, HW Drivers, etc)
- Debugging skills for embedded targets and low-level software
- Can translate customer/market requirements into design specifications and product requirements
- Experience with build servers and unit testing
- Continual learner and ability to adapt to changes in the industry
- Task assignment and project management
- University degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Experience in Project or team management.
Qualifications considered an Asset
- Familiarity with GPS, Bluetooth, Iridium, RF and Cellular an asset
- Low power embedded system design experience (battery enabled products)
- Experience with ARM processors (M3, M4 and M7 series)
- Experience with Jira, GitHub, Slack, Jenkins
- Knowledge of JVM and Java programming within an embedded architecture
- Competitive compensation
- Profit sharing
- RRSP matching
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume with Team Lead, Embedded Software as the subject title to email@example.com .