Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider, designer, and manufacturer of satellite IoT enabled solutions. MetOcean’s products span across oceanographic & environmental monitoring equipment, naval targeting, and covert surveillance markets.
For more than four decades, we have assisted domestic and international customers with developing and integrating Iridium hardware into a wide range of devices and applications. MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere in the world.
In this newly created position of Vice President, Engineering, you are a subject matter expert, trusted advisor and an integral member of MetOcean Telematics senior leadership team. You are a visionary innovator, dynamic people leader, proven growth-stage builder and passionate about continuous improvement. We are looking for an experienced VP, Engineering who would be responsible for the management of the Engineering departments (Halifax & Ottawa). Reporting to the EVP of Engineering and Operations, the VP of Engineering will be accountable for the Engineering department consisting of +30 technical employees across various disciplines: hardware, firmware, mechanical and software developers. The ideal candidate should feel comfortable bringing embedded products to market and modern web application development, managing teams and project management.
The MetOcean Engineering department is currently developing:
- Our next-generation web application platform for tracking and controlling satellite and cellular devices in the security market.
- New satellite and cellular hardware controller with an app-driven embedded OS that will be used in a wide array of MetOcean products.
- Ocean technology products and solutions such as a Vessel Monitoring solution for the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and a new oil spill tracker.
- Various satellite-enabled products used in land-based tracking and SCADA applications.
• Lead the ongoing projects and activities within the department
• Guide the technical direction and designs of new and current products
• Enable and support the various Directors, Managers, Team Leads and Project Managers
• Review requirement and design specifications for new projects
• Establish standards of performance for the department
• Ensure the department accomplishes projects within deadlines and budget constraints
• Manage the employee performance program within the department
• Introduce industry best practices and provide technical guidance for engineering initiatives
• Collaborate with the Director of Manufacturing on NPI and the Product Management on new
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering (preferably Electrical or Computer Engineering)
• 6+ year’s relevant engineering management experience in a full-time management role
• 8+ year’s hands-on experience in developing commercial products
• Demonstrated ability to bring embedded products to market
• Strong technical knowledge to make timely design decisions and mitigate technical risks
• Hold others to high standards to drive departmental performance
• Ability to lead simultaneous projects of varying complexity and length
• Excellent written and oral communications
• Great understanding of developing embedded products (electronics and firmware)
• Good understanding of software development and testing processes
• Electrical or Computer Engineering Degree
• Management of various technical disciplines
• Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking
• Experience working with external suppliers and consultants
• Knowledge of modern web stack technologies
• Experience designing satellite and cellular products
• Knowledge of regulatory and compliance procedures (FCC, CE, ISED, PTCRB)
• Experience with NPI processes, product lifecycle management, and development workflows
• Modern testing techniques for hardware, firmware, and software
• Competitive compensation
• RRSP matching
• 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume with VP, Engineering as the subject title to HR@metocean.com