Head Office: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Type of Employment: Full time, Permanent
MetOcean Telematics is a leading global provider of satellite voice, satellite data and complete end-to-end telematics services. Our business ranges across many different industry sectors, with a focus on niche MetOcean solutions, custom defense and security products.
MetOcean Telematics ensures critical data is transmitted, received and processed in the fastest and most reliable manner possible anywhere on the planet. The company has been a world leader in integrated systems used for real-time environmental monitoring, vessel tracking, and defense & security systems.
We are seeking a proactive and dedicated Controller with industry-related experience. Reporting to the VP Finance & Administration, the Controller is responsible for all aspects of financial management including corporate accounting, regulatory and financial reporting, budget and forecast preparation.
You will be overseeing a team of 2-4 people with your primary role being to manage the accounting processes, produce financial reports and provide analysis as required in a timely and consistent manner. If you thrive in a diverse and forwarding-thinking culture undergoing strategic changes, this opportunity is ideal for either someone ready to take the next step in their career or a seasoned professional that can provide leadership and direction to our great team.
- Oversees the day-to-day operations of the accounting department
- Responsible for full-cycle accounting (management of AR/AP/General Ledger)
- Manage all department month-end/quarter-end/year-end accounting processes, including approval of reconciliations and monthly journal entries.
- Supervise, direct, and review the work of the accounting team (including, but not limited to, cash reconciliations, trust account statement reconciliations, check runs, accounts receivable transactions, fixed asset activity, accounts payable transactions, debt activity, recording of revenue and expenses, etc.)
- Cash management
- Managing the purchasing and inventory functions
- Maintaining relationships with key external stakeholders (e.g. Bank, Government institutions, etc.)
- Maintain organized sets of detailed records and files to document financial transactions
- Resolve complex accounting issues while assisting personnel in resolving financial issues by providing guidance and support
- Review general ledger on a monthly basis to ensure accuracy of posting
- Coordinate monthly, quarterly, and annual closing activities
- Produce quarterly and annual financial statements and ad hoc financial reporting
- Recommend, establish, and implement benchmarks for measuring financial and operating performance. Manage day-to-day accounting operations and ensure that there is a redundant process backup in place for every critical operation
- Monitor emerging technology to determine ways to automate the accounting process without sacrificing accuracy and accountability
Job Specific Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Experience with governmental/non-profit accounting principles and procedures
- Ability to develop and implement financial policies and procedures
- Aptitude to analyze financial data and to prepare accurate reports in a timely fashion
- Capability to effectively use a modern automated financial management system.
- Knowledge of operating and capital budget concepts
- Awareness of policies and practices associated with payroll and benefits administration
- Understanding of personnel policies and procedures
- Ability to use software applications (e.g. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Experience working with Government-funded programs
- Experience using Great Plains ERP system
Qualifications & Experience
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain detailed records.
- Ability to work independently, with little supervision.
- Highly collaborative and consultative leader and colleague
- Exceptional service skills; responsive to members.
- Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react with discretion under varying conditions.
- Excellent communication skills with all stakeholders- colleagues, customers, and external stakeholders
- Bachelors Degree in accounting, or commerce
- Professional accounting designation
- 3-5 years of professional experience as Controller
- Competitive compensation
- RRSP matching of 4%
- 100% Employer paid group benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume with Controller as the subject title to HR@metocean.com